Home AOMEI Products Support

Migrating current system\boot disk to a new SSD

Hello, my computer has 2 HDD 2TB each so configured:
HDD1:
1) hidden partition reserved for system
2) c: approx 100 Gb ( Windows file, Programs & so on )
3) d: approx 1 TB
4) and: approx 1TB

hdd2:
1) f: approx 1TB
2) g: approx 1TB

The operating system is W7 ultimate x64

I recently added a 120 GB SSD. (HDD0)
I'd wish my system could boot from the new SSD drive
my question is the following.
using the tool described here, http://www.disk-partition.com/features/migrate-os-to-ssd.html, can I copy only the 'C' partition which is the one that contains the operating system on the new SSD and restarting the system, BIOS setting aside, the pc will boot from the new SSD as 'C' ?

I read somewhere that the hidden partition is built by W7 itself during the installation and i don't know how to copy it to the new SSD.

Hopefully waiting for a reply,
Thanks in advance

Max

Comments

• edited April 2014

Hello Max,

As for your query, you cannot only clone the C partition to SSD, after that the SSD cannot be boot. You may have some misunderstandings, the Migrate OS feature will detect all the necessary partitions (OS partition and the hidden partition you mentioned), next clone them to the destination and make it to be bootable. You could just follow the wizard to complete.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Hello Kim, thanks for your reply;
    I wrote my idea badly; with 'copying only the C partition', i meant exactly what you have pointed out in your reply: 'all the necessary partitions (OS partition and the hidden partition). It's ok; tonight i'll try to follow the wizard keeping my fingers crossed :)
    Best
    Max
  • edited August 2014

Hi Max, welcome your feedback.

• Hi Kim

Something did not work.

After the migratin process has been completed, at next reboot, using BIOS settings, i set the SSD HHD as primary boot.

Well my pc boots normally from the old 'C'

In disk management, i can see SSD has now 2 partitions

First, unlabeled is marked as System, Active, Primary partition; the second, which contains all the data present from the original 'C' is only marked as Primary partition.

the original HD from which i have always booted, is as follow

4 partitions

1) unlabeled marked as Active, Primary partition

2) my current 'C' boot is marked as 'AVVIO' ( i think in english'd be 'boot' ), Paging File, Error Log, Primary partition

3 e 4 simply are marked as Primary partitions.

So what have i to do to boot from the SSD ?

• Hi Max,

I suppose you didn't set the BIOS successfully(set the SSD as primary boot), so it directly boot from your old drive. You may unplug your old drive and then restart your computer. If it works, you may reconnect the SSD to the first port and then connect the old drive. 

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Hi Kim,

BIOS settings are ok; i dont' want to unplug my old boot drive since too much time is required to do it ( wires, cables and so on ).

don't know what to think but selecting the SSD as boot, simply doesn't work; i get no error but the system boots from 'old' C.

Best

Max

• Hi Max, there should have some error message if you set the SSD as first boot drive, since you mentioned the SSD has been marked as active. If you you set correctly, it should first boot from SSD.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team