Home AOMEI Products Support

Fail: repartition Win8.1 HDD using AOMEI v5.1

Win8.1 HP 14" Touchscreen, model 14-b109wm, (Walmart BF special). I copied AOMEI v5.1 (Pro, I think) to computer recovery partition (D:). I ran the program from there to shrink C:, which created empty space to be used later for a new partition, and leave D: alone.

After I made the settings, then ran the program, the notice of the pre-boot OS will be run appeared, the computer rebooted. I walked away when I started the process, so I don't know if the pre-boot OS actually ran. It is now in a loop, where it shows the HP splash screen, waits for a couple of minutes, announces it cannot boot and the system will restart, and it boots and repeats. I know the HP BIOS has a boot compatibility mode to boot to non-win8 discs, but that was left at default (disabled).

Any Idea how to fix this problem? Is it because v5.1 is not Win8.1 compatible?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I created a Partition Assistant boot disk and here is the screenshot showing the resulting partitioning:

http://cpusrvc.homeip.net/Fail_Partition.jpg

NOTE: doing a "Check Partition" on all partitions, only the D:RECOVERY and partition marked "Other" file system activated the hard drive. The other partitions opened the test window and remained at 0% progress and the HDD light stayed off.
  • Hello,

We are so sorry for the problem you encountered. As for the loop reboot problem, you could create a universal Windows recovery tool and then boot from this media to delete a file called "ampa.exe". It is located in this directory "C:\Windows".

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • edited March 2014
    I'm confused because the "Check Partition" function (run CHKDSK) was run on the C: (NTFS) drive and the drive did not activate, as noted in my Mar 23 message. I just checked again to confirm this, and the C: drive does not cause the HDD drive LED to turn on, and the test mode does not progress past 0%. However, checking for bad sectors does active the drive. Does this mean the C: drive is not accessible? If so, how would I delete the file you mentioned?

I have an XP BartPE cd, but it hangs at the Windows splash screen. I have a DOS boot disk (thumb drive), and it can't see the drive. What kind of recovery tool can you suggest, and how would I create it?
  • I created the bootable drive with the Windows AIK installed.  Booted into Partition Assistant, then went to Windows Command Line.  I renamed C:\Windows\ampa.exe to ampa.ex so it could not run.  The drive still has the same error message "Your PC encountered an error and needs to restart.."

I also tried Rebuild MBR, with no change.

• edited April 2014

Hi cpusrvc,

I am sincerely sorry for replying you this late.

You may create another BartPE on another higher windows version then delete the ampa.exe file, if that still not work, please delete a registry by the steps: Go to Start, enter and run regedit. (Note: you should run it as Administrator).Next, locate the following path:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute and then delete this item: ampa.exe in the right section.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• edited April 2014

My bootable flash drive was made on Win7 per instructions on your site for WinPE disc.  Is that what you are referring to when you say "BartPE"?  I do have a BartPE disc with XP, but it stops at the Windows splash screen.

It appears that your instructions to modify the registry requires me to boot from the HDD, which I can't do, that's why I posted here. How do I read and change the registry on the hard drive, if I am booting from a flash drive? Is there a way to edit a "remote" registry on the HDD, since the registry in use will be from the flash drive?

Thanks.

• Sorry I wasn't specific enough. I mean the BartPE which allows you to manage files when you boot from it but not the PE you created witn Partition Assistant(currently our boot media doesn't support managing files).

Since the BartPE you created with XP doesn't work, so you may recreate another on some other PC. When you boot from the PE, you are able to run the regedit editor of the PE as the same as I mentioned above. After you opent the regedit editor, next click File--Import button and go to "C:\Windows\System32\config", next open "SYSTEM" in this directory. After that, you can edit the registry.

Best Regards,

Kim