Home AOMEI Products Support

HDD now inaccessible after failed conversion from ntfs to fat32

edited March 2014 in AOMEI Products Support
I recently attempted to convert a media drive I had from ntfs to fat32. At one point the process hung, I let it run over night and when I checked it later it said that the process had failed. Now the HDD is entirely inaccessible.

Is there anyway of recovering the data on the drive? I was lazy and didnt have a backup.

Windows CHKDSK utility cannot access the drive and it states that I am not running in administrator mode even though I am.

Would really appreciate any help.

Cheers

Comments

• edited March 2014
  • Hello Jef,

We are so sorry for the problem you encountered. The conversion is a data protective process, it is not a process of simply reformat the disk. Currently you may have to use data recovery software to recover your data. You may use TestDisk, it is a free data recovery software. It can be free download from this site: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    Below is the step by step tutorial:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • Sorry, Kim, I spoke without knowing so I deleted it. But, for the record, it wasn't me that had the problem, it was jrom, in the post above.
  • Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

jef: AOMEI Partition Assistant allows for conversion from NTFS to FAT32 without reformatting and 'without data loss' - however since it failed during its run it has caused the drive to inaccessible.

Kim: Cheers, I was going to try some data recovery software. Ill try TestDisk and let you know how I go.

Matt
  • edited March 2014
    Thank you all for your kind support. Regarding the issue, in order to make the conversion to be finished successfully, I suggest you defrag the partitions and run chkdsk.exe to fix potential error before the convertion.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • Hello,

I have a similar problem. The drive (NTFS - FAT32) conversion also failed during its run. I did the following:

1.) Used check disk to try and fix the problems on the disk - this resulted in an infinate loop of "fixing" and then detecting it again and wanting to "fix" it again.

2.)I then used TestDisk to try and recover the files to a seperate drive - no luck finding anything on the drive.

PA (Partition assisstant) can detect the drive and how much data is on it. The drive is still detected as an NTFS drive. It is however not available in the list of drives when I try to convert again...

Is there a way for PA to scan the drive and extract the data? Or a way to run the conversion again?

Kind Regards,

AndySam

• Hello AndySam,

What is the error when the conversion failed? If PA can detect this drive and how much data is on it, you could try the Copy Partition feature of PA to copy this partition to another place. Maybe after the clone you are able to access the data on the destination disk. If that cannot help, you have to use some other data recovery software to have a try. I am sincerely sorry for the problem.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team