Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper fails to restore a valid backup with code 210

I am attempting to restore a backup from an external hard drive (Toshiba 3GB inside a Rosewill USB3 enclosure) to my internal hard drive (WD Blue 1TB, which is not the boot device).

Backupper starts the restore, and for 30 minutes, it seems to be doing okay.  For that time, the status tells me it's copying data and analyzing.  When the analysis of the final drive in the backup set is about to get to 100% complete, Backupper stops with an error, information code 210, reporting bad clusters on the disk (it does not say which disk).  It does this attempting to restore using the bootable WinPE CD and while using Backupper from Windows.

So I tried again with another nearly identical backup set (I always do backups twice; after it finishes with one external HDD, I do it again on the other one for redundancy) on a different type of external hard drive (WD Passport 2TB), and it did the same thing.  It's not at all likely that two separate drives happen to have the same issue, so maybe it means the target drive.

I installed Western Digital Data Lifeguard for Windows and set it to do an extended surface scan of the destination drive.  It passed with no errors.

Next, I had Backupper verify one of the backup sets that had failed.  While the computer was doing that, I plugged the other external hard drive into another PC and did a surface scan using the built-in Windows tool ("scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors").

After a while, both jobs finished.  Backupper reported the backup set that had failed was, in fact, valid, and Windows reported the other external hard drive was error-free.

There does not appear to be any problem with the backup sets or the destination drive, so why can't I do this?  It's a good thing I discovered that I (despite taking the precaution of redundant backups) essentially have no backup at all of the data drive before something happened!

System specs:

Windows 7 x64
Asus P8P67 Pro 3.1 motherboard (ASMedia USB 3.0 chipset)
Boot device is Sandisk Extreme II 120mb SSD
Data drive (which I am trying to restore to) is WD Blue 1TB
Original source of the backup data I am trying to restore to the WD Blue was a 3TB Toshiba HDD in my other PC (500gb used/backed up, so plenty of room to fit it onto the smaller drive), configured as one logical drive (GPT).  That backup set also has the data from that other PC's boot device, a 128mb Samsung 840 Pro SSD (MBR).

Thanks!