Home AOMEI Products Support

Software Options Help

Hello,

I have recently perchased a used Dell Windows 7 laptop. I don't have installation media and was recomended by the seller to copy the hard drive so I would never need to fomat and reinstall. I don't have an external hard drive so i need to be able to do this over a network to another drive on another computer. I am new to using backup software and a little confused over all the options available.

I have two questions. Can I use the clone software to clone to another drive over a home network? What is the most reliable option under any condition (Clone, System Backup, Disk Backup)?

Source: Dell 1525 Laptop Windows 7 Home premium.

Destination: Windows XP Pro, Drive D

Router: AT&T 2Wire

Comments

• OK maybe I am asking a $42000.00 dollar question. I do have a reason for asking it. I have been using another brand clone software with good results, but I don’t see that I can use it over a network. I tried to use the Backup (image) software on a 10G WinXP hard drive and the results didn’t turn out to be so good. The backup process ran for about four hours before I gave up and canceled it. Is it normal for the Backup to take longer than the Clone process?
  • Hello Mike,

We are so sorry for replying you this late. As for your query, our software supports backup to Network devices, but that is only for backup feature not clone feature (clone is directly copy all the information to destination without compression, after the clone, you can directly access the destination while Backup is not). The backup speed in this case is decided by the read and write speed of your network, so it may take longer time than you directly clone the disk.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team