Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot Access Image File

Hello, I recently backed up my computer using full drive image backup on Aomei. After the backup was completed I checked the backup using Aomei and it said it was good. I now need to restore my computer from the backup and no matter what I do I get the error "Image file cannot be accessed or is damaged". It doesn't matter if I try to check the image, resotre it, or anything else, it immediately gives me that error, doesn't seem to actually check the image. I currently have it on a external hard drive but I have also put the image on my other computer and I get the same error. The file size is exactly the same with the exact same number of files. I have also tried creating and bootable USB and restoring it that way and get the same error.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Hello,

We are sincerely sorry for the problem you encountered. You may have to redo the backup, after you complete the backup you can use "Explore Image" function to check the backup.

Best Regards,

Kim

• I have successfully backed up my laptop harddrive and made a first differential backup. I now wish to test the accessibility of the data on another computer. When I go to 'Explore Image' everything is fine. But the virtual drive doesn't show up in the windows explorer of My Computer! I can access the drive with Firefox, but not windows explorer? Why is that? I'm using Win7 to try to view the image of the harddrive I backed up which uses WinXP.
  • I installed deamon tools lite, and suddenly I have my virtual drive in My Computer. It looks like something is missing from the installation of Backupper that prevents the viewing of the mounted drive in My Computer, though I could get to the mounted drive via the cmd prompt.
  • Hello,

As for your problem, it has nothing to do with virtual drive tool, I suppose it's an accidental event. Maybe you restart your computer and retry explore image, the image will be mounted as virtual drive.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • This is not an accidental event.. I had the same problem with windows 7. Backupper (1.6) shows that the drives are attached (and I can unattach them), but windows explorer and my computer does not show the drives.

• Unlike higrm, daemon tools lite does not make the partitions show up..

• After rebooting, the problem has changed.. the disk shows up in windows explorer but when I click on it, it say that it is "not accesable". In addition, when I go back into explore image in backupper, it has forgotten that the drive was there (no option to unattach.. just straight to the menu to attach a drive). Something weird is going on here...

• SOLVED!

This is general Windows issue related to UAC that can close network connections for third-party applications including Hard Disk Manager. It is described in Microsoft TechNet database:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx

Please use the following solution to avoid this:
    1) Click Start, type regedit in the Start programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
    2) Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
    3) Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4) Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
    5) Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
    6) In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    7) Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.