Home AOMEI Products Support

Expand C:\ Partition on Server with Raid 5

I have a very important task of resizing the C:\ partition on my server and I need a definitive answer as to whether your software will perform the operation easily and safely. Here is my situation:

Hardware:

Dell Poweredge T310 Server running Windows Server 2008R2

Raid 5 Perc 6i/H700 Controller

Three 500 GB SATA hard drives in Raid 5 array

The C:\ drive holds only the OS but is too small (see attached screen shot). I want to shrink the P:\ drive by 30 GB and use that to expand the C:\.

Please let me know if this can be achieved easily and safely with your software and tell me the process involved.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

You can use Partition Assistant Server edition to do this. And the feature Extend Partition Wizard in Partition Assistant is recommended to extend the C: drive. Please refer to this site: http://www.disk-partition.com/extend-partition-wizard.html

In addition, before partitioning, you'd better defrag related partitions and run chckdsk command line to check and fix potential disk errors. 

• When I try to do accomplish this same task I receive an error message that says "The wizard does not support to extend partition on a GPT disk, you can extend the GPT partition by using Partition Assistant Main Console.  

From the main console, I am unable to resize the partition.  I have 30GB of unallocated space, nonadjacent to c:\, but when I select Resize/Move partition, the Unallocated Space Before and Unallocated Space After fields are greyed out.