Home Storage General Discussion

time required for later backups compared to full system backup

Hi, and thanks for the great program.  I just started using 2.2 free.  I made a full system image backup to begin with, and now am trying to decide on a backup plan for the future.  Before I do, it would be helpful to know what is the difference in time required (for either incremental of differential backups) compared to doing a full system backup?

thanks

Comments

• Full backup refers to creating a backup of all the valid data, whether it is new added or exists for a long time.

Incremental backup refers to back up the changed and new added data based on the first full backup or the last backup. Incremental backup will not back up the identical data based on the last backup. Incremental backup is on the basis of the last backup, so that there will be a mutual dependent relationship between them two. 

differential backup is used to back up the changed data based on the last full backup. That is to say, it is based on the full backup, not the last backup. more information

• Thanks for your response.  I understand the difference between incremental and differential backups.  What I'd like to know is how much TIME does it take to do those types of backups compared to how much TIME it takes to do a full system backup?  For instance, it took about half an hour to do my full system backup.  Would the other types of backups take a lot less time, or about the same amount of time?

The reasons I ask is because if it takes about as much time to do the incremental or differentials as it does to do a whole system backup, I may just do the whole system backups once or month or so, and skip the in between backups.

thanks again
  • Of course the other types of backups would take a lot less time than full backup. How much time it takes depends on how many changed files you have.

• @littlebirdie

Surprisingly there's no saving of time when doing an incremental backup.

In
    my opinion an incremental backup should be faster than a full one (and
    with Acronis it is) but in fact it's not. I made a full image and
    right after finishing an incremental one and it took nearly the same
    time.

Pit