Home AOMEI Products Support

Problem With Backupper Standard 2.2 Restore

edited February 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

On 2/16/2015 I created a Disk Backup image of my computer's C: drive which has 233.76GB Capacity and 78.49GB Used Space. This image is stored on an external hard drive with 232.88GB Capacity and 174.48GB Used Space. It is listed as the E: drive when attached to the computer, and the path to the image file is E:/D45W71/D45W71.adi. To test the Restore function, I browsed to this image and selected it on the Backup Point page. The next page, Image Information, should have indicated the disk containing the image file (E:) as Disk0 with 232.88 Capacity and 174.48 Used Space. Instead, it only showed the computer's hard drive (C:) as Disk0 with 233.76 Capacity and 78.49 Used Space. This ultimately led to an Operation Summary page indicating both Source and Destination Disks with Disk Size of 233.76. In other words, it looked as if I was restoring an image located on C: to the same C: drive!

The problem appears to have originated with failure of the correct drive containing the image file to be restored, E: in this instance, to show as Disk0 on the Image Information page. It has also occurred when testing the Restore function after having created a Disk Backup image on another computer. Any assistance in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jole60,

Aomei Backupper remembers the drive number of the drive you backed up.  You can manually point the restore to any other available drive that has the required space and that you can write to.  

• Thanks for the prompt response, darylsonnier.  I may not have adequately defined the problem, so here's another way to view my issue.  Backupper opens to a Backup Management page which shows D45W71, created on 2/16/2015, in the listing of Backup entries.  Selecting the Restore tab for this entry displays the next Backup Point page.  This indicates a Full Backup Type having an Image Path of E:\D45W71\D45W71.adi.  E: is the drive letter corresponding to an attached external hard drive, with 232.88GB Capacity and 174.48GB Used Space, containing the backup image file I want to restore.  Selecting this entry brings up the next Image Information page.  The Disk tab shows an entry of Disk0 with 233.76GB Capacity and 78.49GB Used Space.  The Part tab shows an entry having C: Name with the same Capacity and Used Space as Disk0.  The purpose of this page is to select a partition or volume from the image file, which is located on E: in this instance . However, only this computer's installed C: drive is listed for selection on the page.  That is the problem.  How can I select E: as the correct volume to serve as the source drive for the Restore and why isn't E:, rather than C:, showing on this page?  If E: were available for selection on Image Information, I would select C: as the destination drive on the following Disk Restore page.  The Operation Summary page would then correctly show a Source Disk Size of 232.88GB and Destination Disk Size of 233.76, and I would be able to Start Restore.

Again, your assistance is much appreciated.

• Hi Joel60,

Would it be too much trouble to collect some screen shots? This might clear up some confusion as to where you are having difficulty. Use your snipping tool found under ->all programs ->accessories.

• The pictures displayed in this message illustrate my problem in restoring a C: drive backup image from an attached external disk (E:) which contains the desired image .

Picture 1:   The backup I wish to restore is dated 2/16/2015.

Picture 2:  The backup time point indicated is selected.  Note that Image Path specifies a backup image file on the E: drive.  This should be the Source Disk in Operation Summary.

Pictures 3/4:  The Image Information page focuses on the image file contained within the source drive.  When Disk is selected (Picture 3), I identify Disk0 Capacity (233.76GB) and Used Space (78.49) as belonging to the C: drive.  If Part is selected (Picture 4), C: is specifically indicated by Name.  Since this image file is actually located on E:, as observed in Picture 2, the C: entry on this page seems to be incorrect.  Disk0 should reference E:, with 232.88GB Capacity and 174.48GB Used Space, as should Name if Part is selected, rather than the C: drive indicated on the page.  This is the specific problem I've been tryng to resolve by these posts.  Why isn't E: displayed on this page and how can I select E: as the correct source drive?  To further illustrate this anomaly, I selected the Disk entry and proceeded to the next page even though both entries specify the wrong backup drive.

Picture 5:  Disk0, the C: drive, is appropriately selected as the destination for the backup image I'm trying to restore.

Picture 6:  The Operation Summary page shows that an image from the Source Disk, incorrectly identified as C:, will be restored to its C: disk destination.  This is clearly an impossible Restore.  The correct configuration should show Source Disk E: with Disk Size 232.88 and Destination Disk C: with Disk Size 233.76.

I hope this clarifies my issue and look forward to more help in its resolution.

imagePicture 1.jpg

imagePicture 2.jpg

imagePicture 3.jpg

imagePicture 4.jpg

imagePicture 5.jpg

imagePicture 6.jpg

• As addendum to the above comment, this issue also affects the Explore Image function.  After selection of the 2/16/2015 E: drive image as Backup Point, the next Explore Image page just shows (C:) as the Disk/Partition with 233.76GB Capacity and virtual drive letter F.  Opening this in My Computer confirms that it duplicates C: drive.