Main Threads:Unable to explore image created on NAS
  • Backupper doesn't play nice with mapped drives by the way. It's always best to go the actual IP route rather  than mapped...

• It was just a test to circumvent the problem. I have a Win7 32bit setup. So I dont think its 64bit related.. I just hope that the new version gets released soon.

• Selfmade. I  hate it when solutions don't solve. How far have you got? 

Are you even able to not only see the virtual drive BUT back in backupper see the drive to be able to unmount it?

I've got another win7 32bit pc. That plays happy with image explore. ie. yes I can get into /user/ 

• The proces of mounting an image is working just fine. THe problem is that when I try to access the mapped drive, I am not able to. It behaves like a unformatted drive.

And no, I did not get further.

• Ok, here is some additional Info i've discovered. I have a 500GB SSD with 3 partitions.

0) System reserved, 1) System, 2) Data. I have 2 configured backups. a) system backup (part 0 and 1) and b) partition backup (2).

I found out that I can mount both backups BUT only the system backup is browsable.

Can you verify it please?

• So, I've had a go in a Win7 32bit system.

Aomei - Utilities>Explore Image>

My back up is a bare metal system restore version. I restore from a USB drive connected to my router. That's IP'd rather than a mapped drive.

It mounts to a virtual drive happily enough and I'm able to browse it.

What I did have with a problematic same process in a 64bit system the other day was exactly as you describe but with a couple of differences

a) I did have the option of restoring the system AND b) the rest of the drive C:. However, despite the fact that I was able to enter the now virtually mounted drive for 'System' D: it was totally empty. 

The other virtual drive E: was browsable but for the actual /user/ directory. This involved an unsolvable nightmare of 'you must change permissions'.

The only way I got round this was by downloading an alternative windows explorer called

'Q-Dir'. I'd never heard of it but it appears to be well known and this permitted me to to not only explore the hitherto unexplorable E:/users/ but to copy data out of it.  Found this via a search involving 'Aomei permissions can't explore image'.

I've just tried again with a backup of an x64 machine and yes again, I get 'system' and C. Again, the now mounted 'system' appears to be empty and I suspect only of use for the bare metal restore.

Sorry, I can't be of more help to you.

• "a) I did have the option of restoring the system AND b) the rest of the drive C:. However, despite the fact that I was able to enter the now virtually mounted drive for 'System' D: it was totally empty. "

You said that when you finish the restore and the system is empty?

"The other virtual drive E: was browsable but for the actual /user/ directory. This involved an unsolvable nightmare of 'you must change permissions'. "

Why it needs to change the permission?

"The only way I got round this was by downloading an alternative windows explorer called 'Q-Dir'."

You want to use it to open the ".adi" image

We need more details of your problem. Maybe we can help you to solve it.

• just in case to explain, the "system" partition is empty because all contents are hidden and partly belong to user "System". In the ordinary Explorer, when you assign a drive letter to it (from diskpart), one cannot browse it. One can browse it only from the command line.

• Peter13feb and Admin thanks for your feedback.

Ok, yes. I had a suspicion that 'system' was as you described. The fact that I can open the folder and that  it is empty i.e contains 'hidden' system files. Fair enough.

If I'm after a particular Office file or image though for example, the fact that the now virtually mounted C drive has a 'user' directory that insists that all my permissions are incorrect and that it therefore remains inaccessible is an issue.

Yes, I did manage to access it by means of using a 3rd party Explorer 'Q-Tip' did solve my problem but it took several hours to find that, so I'm concerned as to what the problem might be i.e the .adi file did mount but I was unable to access the now virtually mounted /user/ documents/ directory. This of course being where most people will have files that they wish to access.

As I say, it was on an x64 machine that had just been upgraded (clean install) to WinX.

Known issue or just 'luck of he draw' in my case?

I can guide a user remotely through Explore image but then to have to say "Oh yes, you now need a 3rd party explorer to access anything" is an ask too far.

• Third party explorer only needed for Win8 or 10 exploring a backup made on another computer/OS. Exploring in Win7 or older OS works fine. Exploring the own backup too.

Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!