I've been trying to make a 'Windows To Go' USB drive. I ran the
Windows To Go Creator, and it finished without error. However, when I
put the USB drive in any computer and boot up, it doesn't work. I see
the blue Windows symbol, and the animated spinning circle, but then it
just hangs. I've waited for hours to make sure, but when it hangs, there
is no USB or HD activity.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• I have the same problem.  I tried it on two different drives, one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0.  Same results as OP- Windows logo with the spinning circle, but no further activity on the flash drive, and after an hour or so, still no boot.  Anyone have any ideas?

• Mine is an i5 with 8 gigs of Ram and a terabyte HDD (though I suppose that the HDD is pretty much irrelevant.  The flash drive is a USB 3.0 64 G.  Sony, if that makes a difference.  The other flash drive is a PNY 16 G USB 2.0.  Thanks for your time on this.

• I also tried a few different brands (Lexar and PNY), as well as using the USB 2.0 port as well as the USB 3.0. I've tried running it on a newer Asus X200CA which came with Windows 8 and 4GB, as well as a Windows 7 Dell Optiplex with an i5 processor and 12GB, and an older Dell Vostro 1000 running Windows Vista with 2GB. Sometimes, I get an error message (0xc000000e), but usually the spinner just spins...

• RChadwick,

Please try using the following command to do a fix for the windows to go USB.

cd X:\windows\system32 (where X: replaces the drive letter of the win to go partition)

bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

bcdedit /set {default} device boot

bcdedit /set {default} detecthal 1

• edited February 2015

mine are a virtual computers (VMWare player, Win81 MBR 32bit and Win 81 EFI 64bit tried)

Windows To Go was .iso.

• I also have the same problem..  Im trying to run on macbook air i5 And I also tried to do the command posted by the mod.  But it says "the boot configuration data store could not be opened.  Access is denied" any ideas ?? I also made the win to go on a Sandisk USB drive 3.0 32 gigs.  Thanks..