Home AOMEI Products Support

Cloned HDD will not boot Windows 8, instead shows screen w/ "Selected Boot Image Not Authenticated"

CamCam
edited February 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

I cloned a failing laptop drive with the partion clone tool. First was C: , then WINRE: , and two small ones with no letter designation (don't know what they are for) to the new drive. Did I do something wrong? All I need is to transfer a working version of Windows 8 from the old drive to the new one so I can use my laptop again, no personal files to worry about at this point.

New drive: Western Digital (black) 500 GB, 7200 RPM/ Sata III

Laptop: HP 2000-2b89WM Notebook PC

*I have recovery discs for the laptop, no installation media for Windows (nor can I find a Windows product key on the computer).

I greatly appreciate any help as I have been trying to get my laptop working again for some time without success (that and I've already bought the new HDD as well as the USB to Sata cable.)

Comments

• edited February 2015

Hi Cam,

Making partition clone cannot get the system boot. I suggest that you first make a System Backup, then restore the System image to your new drive. After that, try booting from your new drive. 

• Sorry, but where should I save the system backup so I can restore it when I put the new drive into my laptop. Or can I restore the system to it while the new drive is attached by USB? Also, should the new drive be completely blank when I restore the system to it or should I clone the partitions onto it?

• Cam,

You can save the system backup on the source disk if there are enough free space. And yes, you can attach your new drive via USB port, and you don't need repartition your new drive, you just need to leave enough unallocated space to accept the system partitions. 

• When I get to the screen that asks me to select a destination for the restore, the new drive does not show up in the list even though it is attached. The whole drive is unallocated, so size shouldn't be the issue. Do I need to format it or something so I can select it?

• So I got the sytem restored to the new drive, but when I put it in and tried to boot it I got a screen telling me that "the PC needs to be repaired". Error code: 0xc0000225

Do I just recover the image from the recovery media I'd created from the laptop itself?

• edited February 2015

you need to backup, and recover all partitions, including the ones you don't know what they are good for (one is MSR, one is ESP). It is best to backup and recover the full disk. And the hidden partitions would better be exact size as before. MSR is 128MB, ESP is 100MB or 260MB this is known.

"Do I just recover the image from the recovery media I'd created from the laptop itself?" I've done that way when installing new disk. But I did partition the hard disk, such that my data are not in C:\, and are therefore easily recovered from a ordinary file backup within the running system.