Home AOMEI Products Support

Larger to Smaller Disk...?

Hello,

There is a help page which takes you through cloning a larger disk to a smaller disk - with the caveat that it will only work if the size of the data is smaller...

However, I am not able to complete this task despite the data on the disk being smaller.  The software still states I need a large disk despite only using 50gb of data.  Destination disk is 120gb, source is 250gb.  Again, I am only using ~48gb on the source disk.

I have set both disks to GPT as there are multiple partitions.  I noticed the disk was encrypted (I assume a W10 default now to use bitlocker) and I am in the process of decrypting now to see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise I am a bit stumped.  I thought that was one of the big benefits of this software - I also tried the partition clone and the system clone, all of which failed with a similar message about the destination disk needing to be larger...

Thanks!

Edit - it was bitlocker, makes sense now... apologies!  I'll leave this up in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Comments

• If the drive is encrypted, AOMEI Backupper will clone it sector-by-sector, so your destination disk space is insufficient.