Home AOMEI Products Support

Can't see new SSD

edited August 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

I was working on my friend's PC again. This time replacing the older Intel SSD I had loaned him with a new Samsung SSD. Both are same size. He's using the Standard AOMEI product.

Anyway, I did a new system backup of his SSD to a secondary internal HD. I then replaced the old SSD with the new SSD. It was recognized in the BIOS. I booted up with the AOMEI boot disk with no problem. I then tried to do a system restore. I was able to navigate to the correct system file, but when it came time to select the backup destination, the new SSD was not seen. I tried another clone program but had errors, so I did a diskpart clean and convert gpt. I then booted up with the new SSD installed as a secondary just to check it in disk management. It was there and was showing gpt and all unallocated. 

I tried the restore again with the boot disk, but again, the destintation SSD drive was not there. Any ideas why AOMEI wouldn't see the drive if it was visible in the BIOS and disk management?  I did not format it because with any new drive right out of the box and I was doing a restore to it, it would not be formatted. So unless you're sure that formatting it first is the correct answer, I really need other suggestions. He lives 40 miles from me and I don't want to make an unnecessary trip.

thanks...

Comments

• If you run the restore in Windows, can AOMEI Backupper see the new SSD?

• I'll try that when I can get back to him. It may take a while. Any other suggestions I might try?

• edited August 2017

You can both install Teamviewer and help your friend remotely.

You can connect the SSD through USB and see if it is recognized.

You can connect the SSD to another Sata port, maybe the current one has issues.

You can reload the disks by pressing the 2 round arrows in the top left.

Did you use a Win 7, 64bit bootable CD ? It is possible that this one does not recognize GPT system disks because Win7 is not meant for UEFI. Make a Win10 UEFI bootable CD/DVD. 

• Ok, I have a good starting point to try things. The Sata port is good as I'm using the same connection as his original SSD C drive. I disconnect it and plug in the new SSD. I've tried the 2 round arrows. That didn't work. I did use my Win 7 bootable disk, but it was the same one I used to restore his orginal HD to the Intel SSD and it did see that one. I will try my Win 10 disk. I can't get to it again until next Tuesday or Thursday. I'll report back then. 

Thanks.

• edited August 2017

Still not sure why AOMEI didn't see the new SSD but I have a question about deploying to a new system. The new PC I built for him did boot up with his old spinner HD. We then did a system backup with AOMEI standard and a restore using a disk made with AOMEI pro, so I think I checked the redeploy to a new PC when it was loading. The question is how AOMEI makes this work? Does it add something that can't be cloned in future upgrades? I tried using the Samsung Migration tool that came with the SSD and after cloning, on bootup we got the error bad_system_config_info. Windows couldn't repair it so that's when I tried AOMEI again. I will try to do a system restore from within Windows but I was also thinking at this point to do a fresh install of Win10 via USB, but keep all his programs and data. He wants to avoid reinstalling everything he has. Any other ideas or does this sound like the way to go if we either don't see the new disk in Windows or the restore fails the same way it did with Samsung Migration?????

Someone on the ASUS forum suggested I do a restore using the original HD backup we made with AOMEI, but this would again be dependant on whether AOMEI sees the Samsung SSD.

• You said:  " It was recognized in the BIOS...I did a diskpart clean and convert gpt."  THAT is the problem (as I understand it).  BIOS cannot boot up with GPT.  To use GPT, you need to boot with a UEFI-capable PC, NOT one with a BIOS.  Google it, and you'll see. 

• edited August 2017

@gck, in another thread Flyer is talking about  "I then discovered his old HD was a
    Seagate 1TB drive that was formatted GPT." with EFI partition etc.

So we assumed it is a UEFI machine,

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/3425/bootloader-not-found#Item_1

• I am trying to replace HDD in Win10 laptop.  New hdd is connected sata-usb and I did quick format NTFS.  It shows up as Disk2 (E:) on Windows Disk Management, but Backupper/Clone does not see it.  What am I missing?

• edited August 2017

Wow, the "not visible" problem seems to spread.... Sata-USB, visible in Disk Management and Windows Explorer I assume, but not in Backupper. I have no idea. Admin you? Are they all Samsung SSD's? Is something wrong with version 4? Maybe use an old 3.X version? 

• btw, my copy is Backupper Pro 4.04, download today.
  • Screen capture images:image

• edited August 2017

Why is it Disk 2 and not Disk 1? What if you connect to another USB port? Is this a laptop with another (internal) Disk 1 connection but not connected at this moment? And does Aomei stop looking for further disks if Disk 1 is not present?

B.t.w. the E: disk is initialized as MBR just as the original?

• yes, new hdd was initialized MBR. 

Laptop has 2 usb ports.  I moved sata-usb to the other port, and Disk Management now shows it as Disk 1, but BackUpper still does not see it.  quit/restart BackUpper made no difference.

• Laptop has only one hdd, internal.  That's what I'm trying to clone & replace.
  • leaving discussion now -- other chores to do.  I'll check back later.

Thanks, JohnnyboyGo for comments. 

• edited August 2017

Back to original post. ....  problem solved. I may have done some extra things I didn't need to do but I wanted to go slow and cautious.

Booted into win10 rescue disk to command prompt. Only had Samsung SSD connected. Started diskpart, listed it and did a clean. Connected all drives and booted into normal windows. Opened disk management and got prompt I needed to initialize disk 2. I did, and formatted gpt and NTFS. Drive was seen in AOMEI. To try it with rescue boot disk, I shutdown, disconnected old Intel SSD and moved Samsung SSD to that data cable. Booted into AOMEI rescue disk and did a system restore to the Samsung SSD as it was now visible. When finished, removed D drive and booted up with only Samsung SSD connected. It booted quickly with no errors right into windows. In disk management I extended the new C drive as the the Samsung was 16G larger than the Intel. Shutdown, reconnected D (data) drive. Everything working fine. 

I guess initializing and formatting ensures it will work with AOMEI. In any case, with all the failures I read about in this forum AOMEI did exactly what it was supposed to do for me. As a side point, Samsung Migration software didn't work. Windows Image restore didn't work. AOMEI did.

• edited August 2017

@Flyer, glad it is solved. I wonder if it was the formatting that did the trick. In my tests even fresh Cleaned and non initialized and thus not formatted disk is still visible in Aomei. (but I had not a SSD to test)

Did you use a new Aomei Win 10 boot (rescue) disk or the Win7-64 version?

• edited August 2017

I used the Win10 boot disk. 

I'm not sure what the problem was, but since I tried the Samsung Migration software and tried to do a Windows Image restore first, I cleaned the disk in diskpart before trying AOMEI. After all drives were installed, I went to Disk Management to see what was there and got the popup to initialize the disk before using it, so I did. Since I was there, I just formatted it too. Then I went to AOMEI in windows where the disk was seen, so I then tried to restore via boot disk. I guess this really didn't answer my original problem of why AOMEI didn't see the SSD but I was more in the mood to get it working for him. If I had tried AOMEI first with a clean, new SSD, I can only guess that it would have worked. But for those who do try and it doesn't work, at least they can be relatively sure initializing it and formatting will do the job. This can all be done in Diskpart (using the Windows rescue boot CD or install USB thumb drive to get to the command prompt) if so desired:

2TB drives and smaller:

1. From the command prompt, type diskpart, press Enter
    2. Type list disk, press Enter
    3. Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter
    4. Type clean, press Enter
    5. Type create partition primary, press Enter
    6. Type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter
    7. Type assign, press Enter
    8. Type exit, press Enter

2.5TB drives and larger: (or if you just want gpt with a smaller drive)

1. From the command prompt, type diskpart, press Enter
    2. Type list disk, press Enter
    3. Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter
    4. Type clean, press Enter
    5. Type convert gpt, press Enter
    6. Type create partition primary, press Enter
    7. Type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter
    8. Type assign, press Enter
    9. Type exit, press Enter

• @dc_rogers Please check whether Disk 2 is 4096 bytes per sector.

• edited November 2017

Yes, 4096 bytes per sector (see attch screen capture).  Sorry for the delayed reply.

image171107_fsutil_fsinfo_ntfsinfo.png

• @dc_rogers AOMEI Backupper doesn't support 4096 bytes/sector disks at present.

• Hello

Receive prompt assistance from highly qualified engineers of AOMEI support team! Be free to e-mail us your question and suggestions about our products.

Assignment Help Australia