Home AOMEI Products Support

Trouble changing from MMR to GPT

I tried to do the change. It stopped in process because the drive was too fragmented.  Then I was sent to a blank screen.  Don't know what to do.  I placed the drive in another computer and defragmented it.  But it does not do a startup when I placed it in my computer.

Comments

• Please, please what is my next step?

• edited September 2017

Does your operating system support GPT? Also, from the help section...

If you want to convert system disk between MBR and GPT styles, please change boot mode between UEFI (United Extensive Firmware Interface) and Legacy after conversion is completed for GPT disk can only be booted by UEFI.

Does this apply in your case? Did you back up your disk before trying this?

• Thanks for your response.  I have backed up all my data files.  My OS offers both Legacy and UEFI.  .The problem was that the conversion stopped soon after it was launched with an error that it was aborted because the disk was too fragmented.  I can see the disk when I place it as a second drive in another computer.  I also attempted a further defragmentation.  But I wonder if it was left in the pre? operating system.  I just can't get it to boot.  I go into Bios but see no significant problem.  Thanks.

• edited September 2017

When you put it in as a second drive, did you see the FAT32 EFI partition? Assuming the OS has not been damaged, an MBR disk does not have that partition while a GPT requires that one to boot. I've not used partition assistant so I'm not familiar how that partition is created after a GPT conversion. Check the help files for that program and see what it says. If the OS was damaged, then you may have to do a clean reinstall of the OS. 

• Hi @Recapdoc ,  apologizes for the inconvenience,  please try to create a bootable disc in another pc following this instruction: https://www.disk-partition.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html  

retry the conversion to see the results.

If you still encounter boot error, please send details to [email protected]