Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring a hard drive image to an SSD drive

Hello! My Dell laptop has a standard spindle hard drive. I took an offline image of it using the lasted AOMEI build. Dell sent me a replacement laptop and I want to restore the image onto the new laptop. The new laptop is the same make and model of the other laptop EXCEPT the new laptop has an SSD. I followed this document with no succes: http://www.backup-utility.com/res/restore-system-image-to-new-ssd-4125.html

The laptop doesn't boot ("No Boot Device Found"). Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2017

Was the old laptop a BIOS model (or run in legacy mode) with MBR initialized disk and is the new laptop an UEFI based model with GPT initialized SSD? Or the other way around? In either case the disk initialization method should be the same as the original. If indeed you new laptop is UEFI based, you can run it in legacy mode and re-initialize the ssd as MBR.

Did you make a system backup or disk backup? partition backup of C: is not enough.

• Ah good call. The new laptop was in Legacy...old in UEFI. Once I put the new laptop in UEFI mode, it booted perfectly after the image. Now the question is...should it  be on Legacy or UEFI mode long term? Just a personal preference?

• They didn't invent UEFI to be run in Legacy. So I guess if the laptop is now in UEFI it's best.

• Thanks! This issue has been resolved!