Home AOMEI Products Support

Trying to upgrade SSD - need help - or therapy ..))

edited August 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

Team

I have a Dell XPS with a 256gb SDD I am upgrading to a 512gb SDD.

I have checked the compatability of the drive with the laptop so all good there.

Running Windows 7 Professional.

With the OLD drive in, I have downloaded and upgraded  to AOMEI Backupper Pro and - following instructions, created a Boot USB drive on a thumb drive.

I then used the Backupper->Backup option to backup the OLD drive to a USB hard drive - a Seagate 1TB USB drive. That backup I can see on the drive.via windows.

I then installed the NEW SDD in the Laptop, booted from the USB thumb drive - all good, BUT the laptop cannot see the connected USB Seagate drive with the backup on which is connected to my second USB port.  so - I can't restone the backup to the new drive. The Dell has 1 x USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 port but have switched around to no avail. I have booted with both USB drive's connected, or tried to add the Seagate drive after boot - still nothing.

Any thoughts please - driving me nuts ))

Comments

• edited August 2017

Was the external drive connected at boot time? If not, try to click on the 2 rounded arrows in the top right corner to reload the disks.

Is it possible to connect the new SSD through a sata-usb cable or via an external case?

Then you can restore to the SSD while the old one is still running and swap drives afterwards. 

Is the new SSD initialized as MBR? 

• OK - to answer the questions:

1. Yes connectewd at same time - I have tried the two arrows and tried with drive connected and drive not connected at startup - then adding it - nothing :-(

2. I dont have a SATA connector on the SSD drive so I guess I would need a case for that - I'll have a look for one

3. How do I initialise the new drive as MBR ?

Thank you

• edited August 2017

3. How do I initialise the new drive as MBR ?

If the new SSD is connected to a running Windows system (through a cable or external case) you can go to disk management. If the drive is not initialized it will ask then MBR or GPT. Since you have Win7 it must be MBR. If needed you can go to Diskpart and Clean the disk (reset to new state).

But.... you don't have a sata connection on the SSD? What type is it than?