Home AOMEI Products Support

Virus / Ransomeware Issue On Hidden Parthtion Or Drive?

okaoka
edited July 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

If I have just one drive with multi partitions.  In one of the partitions, I strictly use it to save
my system backup images.  After each backup, I re-hide this partition (Hidden Partition).
What happens to this partition If I were to be infected by virus or even ransomware?

On the same scenerio, what if the backup location were a seperate drive and I hide this drive.

What happens in case of an infection?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 2017

oka,

First of all, doing a system backup on the same physical drive as your OS is not really the best or even recommended practice for backups. If you have a mechanical failure (HDD) or electrical malfunction (SSD) with the backup on the same drive you won't be able to access it at all. If just your OS gets corrupted and you wanted to restore from a backup, having it hidden may prevent the boot disk from finding it.

I'm far from being an expert on this, but I doubt hiding the partition will stop a virus or malware from being able to access files located there. You may want to make a post about this on Malwarebytes forum or an antivirus forum, like Norton and ask the question there. I've never heard of anyone protecting their PC that way.

As to the second question, even having the backup on a second attached drive may not prevent malware from spreading to it. Again, making it hidden would probably have no effect in preventing an infection.

To be fully covered, you need a good antivirus program, use Malwarebytes (optional) and keep your backup on a detachable drive you can remove and store in a safe place after doing a backup. Store any file you really need to a cloud backup if it's that critical.

I use AOMEI to backup to a second internal drive regularly on a schedule but also make monthly backups to a USB drive that I store in a fireproof box well away from my PC. I also run Malwarebytes Pro full-time and Norton Internet Security. I've also done a test restore from my backup to a spare drive to verify it works. Overkill?? Maybe. Nothing is 100% perfect but I feel comfortable. Your current scheme doesn't really do much to protect yourself.