Home AOMEI Products Support

Remember credentials for network drive backup location

Does backupper pro have an option to remember network credentials to access a remote network drive when doing backups? Or do I have to enter the credentials every time I run a backup?

Comments

• I'm currently running a network backup and only had to enter the credentials once. I even deleted the backup so I could redo the backup scheme and schedule. When I setup the new backup to the same network location, all I did was enter the save location. It was not necessary to reenter credentials even for this operation.

I hope this works the same for you.

• I can't get that to work, I have to enter the credentials two or even three times in a row before any backup will start to that network drive. I've tried adding the drive with both name and ip-address. Maybe the issue is related to the fact that the domain and username is different so I'm entering username like this: domain\username ?  I'm not able to try with same domain at the moment.

Also, for encrypted backups I have to enter the password each time, is there an option to remember the password so I can have scheduled backups run without intervention?

• edited March 2017

I don't know about using encryption but when I created my back up, for 'back up location', clicked browse and then clicked on Share/NAS. Then on the next screen said to "add share or NAS". On the next screen for NAS path, I entered \\192.168.x.x (you need to finish this with your IP address). Then I unchecked Anonymous, and entered the user name and PW for that PC. This brings up a screen where you can browse the share to select the back up location. I've only had to do this one time. My network back ups have been running without any more intervention from me.

For encryption, I'm guessing, but it appears all you need to do under the General tab in back up settings, is just check enable encryption and enter your password.

Good luck again.

• edited March 2017

I was rereading your post #2 and wanted to add this re: domain\user name.

I may have a simpler situation than you. I only had to enter the user name that I see on the other PC when my windows log in screen comes up and then the PW used to log in to that PC. I'm not sure what effect the domain has on opening a network share.

• ok, now I tried with the built in share/NAS option, that worked better than mounting the folder in windows and accessing it through the normal file browser menu in backupper. It worked with different domain as well, so all is good. Thanks for the help.

One more quirk, it seems that it will only remember the password for an encrypted share when the backup is run as a scheduled task. If I choose to run the backup manually (backup with scheme) I have to manually type the password. Would be nice with an option to explicitly set "remember password" that would allow to not enter the password for any operation on that backup-job. 

• edited March 2017

Glad I could help. As for the encryption problem, I would either wait for an admin to answer here or you can send an email request to support.

My guess is it's something simple that you're not doing and they can help, or the program is designed not to retain the PW for some reason.

• Our program is designed not to retain the password.

• edited May 2017

Same kind of problem, so I try to extend your thread. I use the latest AOMEI backupper version (4.0.3), backup source is a Windows 10 machine, backup target is a Windows 8 machine. For authentication I use the workgroup "shadow account" method, i.e. same username and password on both machines, neither machine is a domain member. The account is given administrative permissions on both machines, and share- and NTFS rights are on "Everyone- Full Control".

I have successfully performed a backup manually weeks ago to the network share (located on the Windows 8 computer), by entering a sharename (\\machine name\share name), gave my credentials, and all worked fine, I can still see the backup file on the target machine using Windows Explorer. I afterwards did schedule the same backup to run once a week. Now checking the backups I experienced that, except the original backup, no further backups were performed.

When I try to access the backup job settings, or restore the backup, I get a prompt saying that "The program is unable to connect to the network. Please enter the correct credentials and check that your network is functioning correctly". Of course neither the backup share settings nor the username/password have been changed, and the account is active on both machines.

Problem #1: there appears no prompt dialog for username, sharename and password, so how can I check or re-enter credentials?

Problem #2: I cannot check the backup job settings either, all menu items in "Backup-Advanced" menu give the exact same error message, no matter which one I choose. The same happens if I try to use the "Restore - Path" menu, I can then
    successfully open the share and pick the image, but the network error
    appears as soon as I leave the "open..." dialog, so the program simply
    fails to open the selected backup image.

At the every same time I can flawlessly open the share "\\machine name\share name" using the URL and Windows Explorer, I can attach a drive letter to the sharename and open it with Windows Explorer, and read and write any file to the share, using either method.

Can anyone advise me what to do, so I can access my backup?

Armin Linder

• edited May 2017

This is a guess as to what may have happened, but it happened to me. Unless you're using a static IP address for your network share backup location, it may have changed. How and why your router assigns an IP address to your PC is another story, but it could have changed from your initial setup. After it happened to me, I went into my router (Netgear) and assigned a static IP to each of my PC's. 

Unless you remember what IP you used when you first set up your backup scheme (so you can assign that IP to the PC in your router), I suggest you delete the backup set and start again. This time make sure you remember what IP address you used and if you can, set it as static (or reserved) in your router. You can assign a static IP address through the PC's network properties, but it's a longer and more complex process than just using your router's settings.

The changed IP address didn't affect my computer network but did not let AOMEI connect to the backup location because it wasn't the same IP as when the backup was created. This may not be your problem but if so, then I hope this works for you.

• Please enter the IP address to see if it works.