Home AOMEI Products Support

Dissimilar hardware support with Image Deployment

We are testing the free Image Deployment software and so far - its great.

We are interested in perhaps buying the tech version in order to use the Dissimilar hardware support feature.
Can someone tell us how the Dissimilar hardware support works?   We have 4 sets of 5 computers with different hardware. How in the world would we restore to all of those with various drivers, etc.

Comments

• The Universal Restore supports computers with different hardware.

• Did AOMEI recently stop offering universal restore for the freeware? I have a free version Ive been using that has universal restore and just downloaded the new one and it doesnt have it.

• @gehrlichman Yes, we limit this feature in free version.

• I want to migrate a Windows 7 system to a new box after a hardware failure. I've used Backupper to create an image of the system's hard drive on an external drive, no problem. Now I want to create bootable media to install that image on the new box. The Windows PE option fails on my Windows 10 machine when it looks for Windows AIK (which I have actually installed). The Linux option fails when burning the DVD--the process goes to 92% and never completes. Can anyone help me with any of this?

• edited March 2017

If you're trying to create the bootable media on a Win10 PC, you need the ADK package, not AIK, which is for making the media ON a Win7 PC. Go to this microsoft site:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-a-boot-cd-dvd-iso-or-vhd  and use the link there to download the ADK package for the version of Win10 you're running. Run it and then only install the 2 sections they recommend (Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Enviroment). If you encounter an error when creating the WinPE media using AOMEI, try again using the ISO option. Save it to your PC and then burn that one to a CD or DVD.

This disk should work to boot into AOMEI regardless of the system installed on that PC. (I've booted into a Win10 PC, pre-enviroment, using a disk created for Win7 without any problems).

The AOMEI manual and instructions for this operation is very outdated with incorrect links for Win10 use. There also seems to be a problem with their burning tool to create the bootable media. The ISO option should work. Just right click on the saved file and select "burn disk image".