Home AOMEI Products Support

I lost my backup disk trying to perform a system restore

Just experienced something really weird and scary. I had a fyll system backup + a number of incremental system backups based on the full system backup and when I tried performing a system restore using the latest incremental backup I got an error message I've never seen before after my PC was rebooted and the restore process was to start saying there were programs running on my backup drive meaning the system restore could not start. I was asked if I wanted to close these programs so the restore could carry on. It also told me if I would have answered 'No' to this question the restore process would have restarted in some kind of 'Restart mode' if I remember correctly.

Anyway I chose 'Yes' to close any programs blocking the restore from carry on and I then got another error message saying the backup disk was corrupt in some way and it was suggested I should run a chkdsk on my backup disk. At this point I was really scared thinking about the situation I would be in if my PC failed to start after this unsuccessful restore and my backup disk in some way was corrupt...that would have been a true disaster!

Luckily when I closed AOMEI Backupper my PC was able to reboot normally but what I noticed was that my backup disk didn't even show up anymore inside Windows and looking under Disk Management in Windows my backup disk was now reported as 'Unallocated'.

Since I not only kept the AOMEI system image backup on my backup disk but also some other stuff do you have any idea what could have caused this and more importantly is there any way for me to revive my backup disk so I don't loose everything I had on it?

As I said I've never seen this before and I used your software without any issues for quite some time and been a very happy user so far. When I try to figure out any differences from in the past what I did differently this time was to use the incremental feature, before this I always deleted the old full backup and created a new full backup. Another thing is I upgraded AOMEI to the latest version (2.5) where I before this used 2.2 I believe it was.

Would really appreciate some input and hopefully a solution to how to revive my backup disk without loosing all data on it...

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

Comments

• You can use partition recovery to recover your data with AOMEI Partition Assistant.more information

• Already replied once but doesn't look like it was posted so will give it a second go.

Thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind should I face the same issue ever again. This time I already re-partitioned and re-formatted my backup disk to be able to move ahead. I was able to re-create the most important data from elsewhere luckily.